Friday 11 July 2014

SLIM et THICK

#Been long you saw me# You missed me right? I missed me too. Blame my brief absence on lack of inspiration and partially on busy schedule but all the same I'm here,atleast for now. So my post today isn't about any embarrassing experience(sorry to disappoint you) its gonna be about you and I;I'm so romantic I know right. Actually its not about you and I exactly,its about our bodies #clears throat# pastor abeg come back, it isn't a sexual post. Before I proceed, be sure to know that I'm typing obviously what I think and if you think otherwise,ermm try and think a little like me,na naija we dey rebrand so. Fat and thin are the classical words used for someone who has extra fat and someone who has 'less fat' respectively but I bring you tender words,ladies and gents, I introduce to you THICK and SLIM,*loud ovation* thank you, thank you,have your seats please. You see the words fat and thin seem offensive to me and its not like one's size should be a bad thing. Although some people see thick and slim as equally offensive words, I think they are not as harsh as fat and thin so if we can't avoid referring to someone's size,let's make use of thick and slim. Most of us use the fat and thin words very often and we think I'm sha not lying,she is very fat or she is too thin and moreover I'm calling a spade a spade,nice perspective my dear,but hold on and reason with me,I'm not encouraging us to lie but don't you think to call a spade a shovel if only to make the word 'longer' or so it contains the letter 'v' isn't a bad idea? I don't think it is and I know you wouldn't too if it's just the letter 'v' you need to complete a puzzle. Let me share my experience with you and how the 'thick' word brought me some sort of relief. Sometimes ago,I was adding weight but I didn't notice. My clothes were getting tighter and some of my friends felt it was awkward but I felt it was cool because the fat brought out my curves and hell yeah I loved the attention,but a friend of mine(a guy actually) walked up to me and was like you are getting too fat oo eh by the time you reach final year you go don big door no go fit contain you.....I stared at the door and back at myself and felt a little scared because if I couldn't go through that door,there is no way in heaven my husband would be able to lift one of my legs,but I feigned a smile and I was like 'my boo isn't complaining' though deep inside I felt bad. I went on a diet,or so I think, I cut down my calories intake,stopped eating late;I began sleeping early so I wouldn't be tempted to eat. I was too timid to run around our neighbourhood so I kept running round the open space behind my house. I'd stand in front of the mirror and squeeze my thighs as if that'd reduce the fat, I felt uncomfortable in my own skin and I compared myself to everyone. I got 'slimming' tea sef, I'd take it in the morning and night and afternoon sometimes but shuooo,I wasn't seeing any changes. Few weeks after I started this 'slimming' journey, one of my big sisters came around and was just staring at me,I felt uncomfortable initially but when she told me she wished she had my stature I started to blush. She told me 'thick' was the in-thing and she really wished she had more flesh,I just kept smiling and scolding myself for wanting to slim down in the first place. Some days after, I was taking a stroll with one of my thick friends and we were both 'thicking' our asses..a guy walked up to us and asked to see my friend, when she came back,she told me the guy said he liked her thickness,I feigned anger because I don't think its polite if you tell a girl you like her because of her stature but I felt pleased,even though it wasn't me he approached which was quite sad but atleast,he strengthened my notion of the word 'thick' instead of 'fat' because my friend's mood lightened too,I concluded that it wasn't just me. I wouldn't have felt bad about my size if not because of what that guy told me and I wouldn't have felt pleased either if not coz of what the lady told me and what the other guy told my friend. You might think what others say should not affect us,but let us be realistic,we often think about their opinions and try to console ourselves with sweet words.My point exactly,I think we all should be appreciative of our bodies,be it thick or slim. I think we should also appreciate others, thick or slim. Its not going to be easy replacing the words fat and thin with thick and slim but it wouldn't hurt if we give it a try. The dictionary and other sources will definitely define these words as different terms but that's none of our business, our business is how our words and actions affect others and if using thick instead of fat changes someone's perception why not? It isn't deception I tell you, it is thoughtful selection. Also,it isn't the size that matter, it is the content and if you won't even give the content the chance to manifest because you think 'she's fat,she can't be nice' or 'she's too thin,she'll break if I touch her' you might be losing someone important .I'm guilty of calling others 'too thin' or 'fat' so I'm not excluding myself but I think if we all appreciated the sizes of one another,the world will be a better place and if you don't want the world to be a better place just remember if we are all of the same size,we'd all wear the same cloth size and that very beautiful dress you love or that smashing pair of shirt you really admire would not be hanging in your wardrobe because the person who was in the store just before you picked up the clothing loved it but couldn't buy it because it wasn't the right size.So show some love,rock your body,help him/her rock her body(chill,not on the bed o) and let's rock these beautiful bodies together.

No comments:

Post a Comment